TACLOBAN CITY – A 6-year-old boy and a stray dog died after they were accidentally electrocuted at a construction site in Brgy. Payao, Catbalogan City, Wednesday (July 13).

Initial reports disclosed that the victim was on his way home after swimming on the nearby beach.

However, he and the dog were accidentally caught by a live wire upon passing the road-widening site and got electrocuted. And when a team from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and emergency responders arrived, they were not able to immediately perform first aid on the victim since they had to wait for the linemen from the local power utility to cut the lines.

The boy already had no pulse and was no longer breathing when he was rescued. He was later pronounced dead on arrival at the Samar Provincial Hospital.

Authorities have yet to release the result of the investigation. However, some residents surmised that the tripped electrical wires were allegedly caused by the construction project. Samar Electric Cooperative II, in a statement, said they were only informed of the tripped secondary line by the city’s power distributor after the said incident. (By Marie Tonette Marticio, EV Mail July 11-17, 2022 Issue)