TACLOBAN CITY – A total of eight (8) fireworks-related injuries were logged by the Department of Health (DOH) in Eastern Visayas as they ended their monitoring for the holiday season on Friday, January 6.
Although there has been no mortality, the health department said the cases are 60 percent higher than last year with only 5 cases.
The majority or 75 percent of the victims are male ages 5 to 45 years old. Six of them, accordingly, suffered blast or burn injuries without amputation, 1 has been amputated, and 1 with an eye injury.
Of these, 7 were treated and sent home within the day, while a 45-year-old male from Catbalogan City, Samar had one of his fingers amputated in a local hospital when a 5-star blasted while he was still igniting it.
Meanwhile, the Police Regional Office (PRO) 8 logged zero incidents of indiscriminate firing during the holidays.
Brig. Gen. Rommel Francisco Marbil has attributed the accomplishment to the intensified and strengthened security measures under a full alert status following the Oplan Ligtas Paskuhan 2022. He said that PRO8 has activated its security plan to ensure the public’s safety in welcoming the New Year by establishing Police Assistance Desks (PADs) and mobilizing personnel to conduct foot and mobile patrols. “Your PNP PRO8 is glad that we welcomed the New Year peacefully. We, in the PNP, assure the public of our dedicated service,” Marbil announced. By Marie Tonette Marticio (EV Mail January 2-8, 2023 issue)